Putting high school students on horses always proves to be an entertaining adventure one way or another. We had the clown, the diva, the allergic, the cocky, the pretender, the barrel racer, the timid, the rowdy, the hotshot, the sweetheart, etc., and the first-timer.
After giving a ride demonstration and dividing the students into advanced, middle, and beginner categories, I scan down the line of faces. I see the cocky guy in the advanced section with his helmet on backwards - He has probably only ridden once. I see the three divas with linked arms - They probably want to ride together and all want white horses. I see the leader hanging back in the beginner section watching his guys - He knows what he is doing but is giving up an advanced ride to stay with his nervous guys. I see the terrified girl all the way at the end of the line...trying to stay strong...but might start crying at any second...
I start assigning horses, answering questions, and correcting exaggerated "horse throwing" stories, while keeping an eye on the little girl on the end. About halfway through assigning, I pause and calmly walk to the end of the line. I smile, ask if she has ridden before or how her last ride went, and no matter her answer I assign her, Willow. Just needed her to know that I care and will give her a horse that will take care of her. I go back to assigning the other horses, keeping the students under control, and repeating instructions they didn't hear. Finishing in time to grab Willow, I call the little girl over to mount up.
The first-timers can be the hardest yet the most rewarding at the same time. Sometimes it requires a lot of negotiating and another instruction walk through to help them put their foot in the first stirrup. Sometimes it takes calm reassurance to keep them in the saddle. And sometimes ... "Do you want me to walk you on the trail?" ...the little girl hesitates and then slowly nods, holding back the once falling tears.
I dearly wish that I had counted how many times I walked the trail this summer. One day I earned what we fondly called "The Triple Crown" because I walked all three of three trails that day. But that isn't what matters. Walking gives a whole new perspective. I'm able to get to know this little girl and focus all of my attention on her. It is my job to protect and guide, to correct the past experience, and to comfort her fears. Also it is a choice, to put her needs and fears above myself, to leave my horse behind, and walk the 20, 30, 45 minute trail at a horse pace.
I found so many parallels and challenges in those trail walks. It is the last ride of the day, I'm exhausted and getting sick, but am I willing to sacrifice for this little girl? Trotting uphill, I can't breathe, let alone carry on a conversation...just one step at a time, love on this girl! I get the privilege to walk out the Gospel for this little girl in my own way. The Lord also showed me things in my own life. Those times when I'm unsure, scared, or crying and the Lord says, "Can I walk you?" "Let me protect you." "Let me correct your past memory." "Don't be scared, I got you, trust me." "You will be ok." How much calm reassurance it takes sometimes is unreal but He gets me up in the saddle and walks me through the trail.
We get to the end of the trail, I stop Willow and turn towards the little girl. "So how was it?" A smile usually spreads across her face, "Good."
Yes, Lord you are Good! Thank you for letting me be a part of what you are doing. Thank you for easing her fear. Thank you for giving me the strength to ...walk it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment